2018 wrap-up: Biggest smartphone trends of the year
- AI everything: Artificial Intelligence (AI) has to be the buzzword of this year! In the world of phones, companies have basically slapped AI on top of everything to generate hype. For example, scene detection in camera software is now marketed as ‘AI Camera’.
- The Notch: In late 2017, the iPhone X sparked the notch trend, and 2018 was flooded with phones with such a design. Currently, notches come in many shapes and sizes, rectangular, u-shaped, waterdrop, etc. Some users love it, others don’t, but you definitely cannot escape it!
- In-display fingerprint scanner: This technology debuted this year, with the Vivo X21 being the first phone to launch in India with an in-display fingerprint scanner. Even though these sensors aren’t as quick as external sensors, they’re definitely the future and the technology is bound to improve over time.
- More cameras: While more cameras on a phone don’t necessarily mean better results, they do offer more flexibility to the user. This year, many upper mid-range phones have gained telephoto and/ or ultra-wide angle sensors at the back. In fact, Samsung launched the Galaxy A9 (2018) with 4 rear cameras.
- Prices: While on one hand, Apple breached the Rs 1 lakh barrier with the iPhone XS Max, on the contrary, Xiaomi and Honor launched new flagship killers at disruptive prices (read our feature story on phone prices here). Surely, 2018 has been crazy!