2020 BMW 1 Series revealed
- The 2020 BMW 1 Series hatchback has gone official along with its sportier M135i derivative. It will be physically showcased for the first time in September this year, and will go on sale thereafter.
- The 2020 model is the first-ever 1 Series that ditches the real-wheel drive layout in favour of the more cost efficient front-wheel drive setup. The ‘FAAR’ platform underpinning this car is the same one that’s found on the X1 SUV.
- Now dimensionally bigger with a focus on better interior room, the new 1 Series gains BMW’s new design language with sleek headlamps, swollen kidney grille and elongated tail lights. The cabin, too, follows the new design theme which debuted on the flagship 8 Series.
- The new hatchback will come with a range of petrol and diesel powertrain options, starting from the base 1.5-litre, 138 bhp engine on the 118i all the way up to the 2.0-litre, 302 bhp unit with AWD which powers the hot M135i.
- Transmission options include a 6-speed manual, a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic and an 8-speed torque converter automatic. Do not expect the manual gearbox to make its way on the India-spec model.