2020 Mercedes-Benz GLS unveiled
- Mercedes’ flagship SUV, the GLS, has officially entered its new generation. The new model has been revealed at the ongoing New York Auto Show 2019. We can expect it to launch in India by early next year.
- Based on the new MHA platform that also underpins the new GLE, the new GLS is 77 mm longer and 22 mm wider than the car it replaces. It’s built on Merc’s latest design language. In fact, it looks like a beefed up version of the recently-revealed GLB concept.
- Since Merc calls it the “S-Class of SUVs”, the 2020 GLS comes with an all-new cabin with a posh new look and premium construction. As expected, the MBUX infotainment system is very much present here and it consists of a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster coupled with another 12.3-inch central touchscreen.
- Safety kit here is also top notch with things like automatic emergency braking, active parking assist with a bird’s eye view camera, radar cruise stop-and-go tech, steering assist, speed limit assist, evasive steering, augment video navigation, etc. either being standard or optional.
- The 2020 GLS comes with four powertrain options in total – two petrol and two diesel. Notably, the two new petrols are now mild-hybrids which combine either a V8 or an inline 6-cylinder engine with a 48V integrated starter-generator.
- However, the mainstream engine for the India-spec model might be the 2.9-litre inline 6-cylinder diesel that generates either 325 bhp/ 700 Nm (GLS 400d) or 282 bhp/ 650 Nm (GLS 350d). Both come with a 9-speed auto gearbox and 4Matic all-wheel drive as standard.