Amazon leads smart speaker segment in India
- According to a new report by International Data Corporation (IDC), Amazon’s Echo series of smart speakers lead the smart speaker segment in India with a market share of 59 per cent.
- The same report also claims that the smart speaker category in India grew by 43 per cent in the second quarter of 2018.
- IDC claims that Amazon and Google are helping establish the smart speaker segment in India by providing special offers on online platforms. Also, these two companies are investing a lot on marketing these products to create mass awareness.
- Navkendar Singh, Associate Research Director, IDC India, said, “Although the initial usage of smart speakers are currently limited to few use cases as the smart homes market is at a very nascent stage in India, we are seeing signs of it growing beyond entertainment”.
- Very recently, Amazon launched three next-generation Echo smart speakers in India with prices ranging from Rs 4,499-14,999. All Echo devices have Amazon’s AI-based smart assistant called Alexa integrated into them.