Bajaj Chetak electric revealed; launch in January 2020
- After a hiatus of around 14 years, the iconic Bajaj Chetak name has returned, but this time as an electric scooter.
- The new retro-modern design of the Chetak electric looks nothing like Chetaks of the past. It has an abundance of LEDs all over which also include scrolling signature for the indicators. The instrument cluster is also all-digital and new-age features such as keyless start will also be standard.
- Powering this scooter will be a 4 kW electric motor with up to 95 km of range of a single charge. More detailed specifications of the scooter’s lithium-ion battery pack will be revealed as the launch nears.
- The Bajaj Chetak electric will be charged using a 5A home power outlet and there will be no DC fast charging on offer. With the former, the battery will be fully recharged in a claimed 5 hour time. Regenerative braking will also be standard.
- Bajaj also plans to offer home-charging station for the scooter at affordable prices.
- Come January 2020, the Bajaj Chetak electric will be launched in Pune. Then, it will be made available in Bengaluru at a later stage. Bajaj will gauge the customer response in these two cities before making the scooter available nationwide.