Facebook AI tool can detect offensive memes
- Facebook has built a new Artificial Intelligence (AI) based tool called Rosetta which can understand text in images along with the context in which it appears.
- Rosetta can extract text from billions of public images and video frames on Facebook as well as Instagram. It can do this for a wide variety of languages and then input the data into a text recognition model.
- Facebook wants to use Rosetta particularly for transcribing the text on memes so that it knows which ones are inappropriate and therefore need to be taken down.
- “Understanding text in images along with the context in which it appears also helps our systems to proactively identify inappropriate or harmful content and keep our community safe,” said Facebook in an official blog post.
- Reports suggest that Rosetta is already live right now, and is extracting text from around a billion images and video frames everyday on both Facebook and Instagram.