Google acquires Fossil’s smartwatch tech
- Search giant Google has acquired watchmaker Fossil Group’s smartwatch technology and some members of the latter’s R&D division for around US $40 million (approx. Rs 280 crore).
- This straightaway implies that Google is planning to launch a self-branded smart wearable in the future.
- With new Fossil members on-board, Google can now also develop its own hardware and optimise it for Wear OS – it’s smart wearable platform.
- On this development, Stacey Burr, Wear OS’ president of product management said, “The addition of Fossil Group’s technology and team to Google demonstrates our commitment to the wearables industry by enabling a diverse portfolio of smartwatches and supporting the ever-evolving needs of the vitality-seeking, on-the-go consumer”.
- Google recently revamped Wear OS with a new user interface to make it compete better against Samsung’s Tizen OS and the current leader by market share – Apple’s Watch OS.