Google Allo to shut down soon
- Google has confirmed that its Allo smart messaging app will be discontinued in March 2019.
- The company had already stopped investing in Allo since April this year because the app failed to take off the way Google wanted it to.
- “Given Messages’ continued momentum, we’ve decided to stop supporting Allo to focus on Messages. Allo will continue to work through March 2019 and until then, you’ll be able to export all of your existing conversation history from the app,” Google said in a blog post.
- Google intends to focus on developing Android’s native messaging app. Therefore, Allo’s key features such as Smart Reply, GIFs and desktop support have now been adopted by Messages.
- Google will also make some major changes to its Hangouts app, which will split into Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet to serve enterprise users.