Google Pixel 3 supports fast wireless charging only on certain chargers
- The newly revealed Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL are the first Pixel devices to support wireless charging. However, to utilise the 10W fast wireless charging, users will have to invest in Google-approved wireless chargers.
- Confirming this development to The Verge, Google said, “ We don’t limit third-party devices, in fact, we’re working with our partners in the Made for Google program to get fast 10W chargers certified for use with Pixel 3. Pixel Stand and Pixel 3 work together through the protocol we’ve developed for fast charging. Everything else charges at the industry standard Qi 5W”.
- It’s quite surprising to see Google not wholly embracing the Qi standard. Looks like the company wants to limit faster wireless charging speeds only to its approved partners so that it can earn royalty money – somewhat similar to Apple’s marketing strategy.
- Additionally, Google would also want Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL owners to invest in its own Pixel Stand, which in addition to fast wireless charging, also triggers certain other features on the phones.
- The Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL are priced in India at Rs 71,000 and Rs 83,000, respectively. The devices are up on pre-order on Flipkart but the shipping date isn’t known as yet. Also, the Pixel Stand’s India launch remains a mystery as of now.