HTC may return to India via brand licensing
- As per a new report by ET, smartphone brand HTC, which ceased its Indian operations last year, may return to India via brand licensing.
- HTC is allegedly in talks with Micromax, Lava and Karbonn to license its brand out to the struggling Indian smartphone makers.
- The aforementioned Indian companies will bid for the HTC brand license and will pay royalty to the Taiwanese smartphone maker in return.
- This will most likely be a profitable deal for the local brands because they’ll be able to offer more options in the Rs 15,000+ price segment. Presently, most phones that these companies sell belong to the sub-Rs 15,000 price range.
- Once a major Android phone player globally, HTC has failed to keep up with the stiff competition of late, which has resulted in its market share plummeting big time.