Kia India may launch 6 models by 2022
- As Kia gears up to foray into the India market by mid-2019, the company has aggressive plans of launching as many as six new models within the succeeding three years.
- Kia Motors India CEO and MD Kookhyun Shim, in a conversation with PTI, said, “Yes, we are considering six models in three years, which is one model every six months”.
- Interestingly, Kia wants to position itself above its sister brand Hyundai. Therefore, expect no compact cars from the brand, at least initially. So, the Picanto, Venga and Rio may not be India-bound anytime soon.
- Kookhyun added “We want to position ourselves as a premium brand. At the moment there is no plan for compact cars in India. So, at the moment compact car is not on our line-up. However, whenever we think we need some volume support we can put compact car in our line up”.
- Kia will launch in India next year with the production version of the SP concept (likely to be called Trazor). The company’s plant will have an annual production capacity of 300,000 units. Moving on, Kia India will set up around 300 showrooms across the country.