KTM 500cc twin-cylinder bike under development
- In a recent interview KTM CEO Stefan Pierer has confirmed that a brand new 500 cc, twin-cylinder platform is being developed which will be produced by Bajaj Auto in India.
- Pierer said, “ In the 500 cc class, we will bring a two-cylinder machine, which is manufactured by our partner Bajaj in India and with which we compete against the Japanese. Growth is happening in the emerging markets today, and in these emerging markets ‘premium’ is the mid-range of 500 to 800 cc”.
- Pierer did not shed any light on what kind of motorcycle this new platform will yield. Currently, KTM’s most popular motorcycles worldwide belong to the street fighter, sport/ sports tourer and adventure categories.
- Currently, the smallest twin-cylinder platform that KTM has is its 690 series. The upcoming 500 platform will sit between the single-cylinder 390 and the aforementioned 690 series.
- Since the KTM 500 will be locally manufactured in India by Bajaj, expect these bikes to be priced extremely competitively.