Mercedes-Benz GLB concept revealed
- The new Mercedes GLB concept has gone official at the 2019 Auto Shanghai. It’s expected to enter production later this year and it will slot right between the GLA and GLC in Merc’s SUV lineup.
- Planned to be pitted against the likes of the Audi Q3 and BMW X1, the GLB is longer than its rivals at 4.62 metres, which means that it can accommodate a third row of seats as well. Then, the second-row seats can move forward by up to 140 mm to make the last row roomier.
- Aesthetically, the GLB has a slightly boxy design which grants it a butch appearance. The concept version also comes with off-road tyres and roof mounted LEDs which may be offered as an option on the production model.
- Since it’s based on Merc’s new MFA architecture which also underpins the new A-Class range, B-Class as well as the CLA, it shares its interior design with its platform mates as well. So, the cockpit has all the familiar elements – turbine-style air vents, dual widescreen infotainment setup, etc.
- The Mercedes-Benz GLB concept comes with a 2.0-litre turbo petrol engine with 224 bhp and 250 Nm. It has an 8-speed dual-clutch gearbox that channels power to all four wheels via the 4Matic all-wheel-drive system.
- The production version is sure to launch with the aforementioned powertrain setup. However, more engines – including hybrids and diesels – will eventually join the lineup as well.