MG India’s debut model will be called Hector
- MG Motor, which will start its Indian operations later this year, has confirmed that its debut model will be called Hector.
- The MG Hector will be a midsize SUV which will rival the Jeep Compass and Hyundai Tucson in India.
- The Hector is based on the Baojun 530 (pictured below) but will feature many India specific changes. For those unaware, Baojun is MG’s sister brand that operates in China.
- For India, the new SUV is expected to use a Fiat-sourced 2.0-litre diesel engine, possibly the same one found on the Compass. Then, there will also be a 1.5-litre turbo-petrol. MG is expected to offer an automatic gearbox option from the beginning itself.
- MG claims to have achieved a 75 per cent localisation at its plant in Halol, Gujarat. Therefore, expect Hector’s pricing to be competitive.