OnePlus 6T to drop headphone jack
- After confirming the presence of an in-display fingerprint scanner on the OnePlus 6T, the company has now revealed that the upcoming phone will also join the ever-increasing list of smartphones that have dropped the 3.5 mm headphone jack.
- Justifying this move, OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei, in an interview with Techradar said, “We found 59 per cent of our community already owned wireless headphones earlier this year – and that was before we launched our Bullets Wireless headphones”.
- In the same interview, Pei also hinted that the removal of the headphone jack has given OnePlus the opportunity to increase the 6T’s battery capacity over its predecessor.
- Surprisingly, until recently OnePlus used to brag on social media about the fact that its phones come with a headphone jack. This rather ironical step is likely taken to boost the company’s wireless headphones sales.
- Since OnePlus has bid adieu to the headphone jack, now Samsung, LG and Vivo remain the only global smartphone brands to still hold on to this port on all of their models.