OnePlus TV confirmed for 2019 launch
- Chinese smartphone maker OnePlus has confirmed that it is working on a smart TV which will launch sometime in 2019.
- This news was confirmed by the company’s CEO Pete Lau. Speaking to Business Insider, he said, “ We want to bring the home environment to the next level of intelligent connectivity. To do this, we are building a new product of OnePlus’ premium flagship design, image quality and audio experience to more seamlessly connect the home”.
- While Lau did not disclose specific details of the upcoming OnePlus TV like the screen size or operating system, it is believed that the TV would feature 4K, HDR and some form of smart AI assistance like Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa.
- OnePlus, until now, has focused its entire R&D on smartphones (and a few accessories). The upcoming OnePlus TV hints at the fact that the company is now ready to expand its portfolio and foray into new segments.
- Before the TV, OnePlus is currently preparing to launch the much anticipated OnePlus 6T, which is confirmed to come with an in-display fingerprint scanner. Also, it will be the first OnePlus device to launch without a 3.5 mm headphone jack.