Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 official
- Qualcomm’s new flagship SoC is called the Snapdragon 855 after all, not the Snapdragon 8150 as previously speculated.
- The new chipset’s main focus is on 5G and unsurprisingly, AI. It has a claimed 3x better overall performance and 2x improved AI performance when compared to its rivals.
- Qualcomm has also revealed a new-gen in-display fingerprint scanner called the 3D Sonic Scanner. It uses ultrasonic sound waves to map a finger in 3D. 3D mapping makes it more secure than the optical in-display fingerprint scanners that we see currently.
- The Snapdragon 855 has the X50 modem for 5G connectivity. Qualcomm claims that this modem can support ‘multi-gigabit’ 5G download speeds.
- The chip is based on a 7 nm FinFET process and sports the Kryo 485 CPU which is claimed to be a 45 per cent better performer than its predecessor.
- The octa-core SoC now has four small Cortex-A55 cores, three big Cortex-A76 cores, and finally, the biggest ‘prime’ Cortex-A76 core for super high-intensity tasks.
- The 855 also gets a dedicated vision processor for depth mapping at 60 fps videos and other AR applications.