Samsung to supply 2019 iPhones with cheaper OLED displays
- Apple sources the OLED screens of the iPhone X, XS and XS Max from Samsung, which do not come cheap.
- However, this might change soon as a report suggests that Samsung is now offering Apple its Y-Octa panels. These panels use in-cell touch technology allowing thinner, lighter and more cost-effective screens.
- In fact, Samsung uses the same Y-Octa panels its 2019 flagship phones – the Galaxy S9, S9+ and Note 9.
- It is reported that initially these new panels will only be offered on the iPhone XS Max. However, with an increase in production, these panels might be offered on all iPhones with OLED screens.
- It must be kept in mind that while the XS Max’s production cost will decrease with this, it does not ensure that Apple will slash the phone’s price.