Snapdragon 865 fully detailed
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 865, the mobile SoC which will power most higher-end Android phones in 2020, brings a lot of improvements in the fields of photography, AI and gaming.
- Built on TSMC’s 7 nm FinFET process, the Snapdragon 865 gets a 25 per cent boost in general performance over the Snapdragon 855. The energy efficiency has also improved by 25 per cent.
- The octa-core configuration of this chipset remains familiar. The most powerful Cortex A77-based ‘Prime’ core here is clocked at 2.85 GHz. Then, there are three Cortex A77-based ‘Performance’ cores clocked at 2.4 GHz, and finally, the remaining four are Cortex A55-based ‘Efficiency’ cores clocked at 1.8 GHz.
- For graphics, there’s a new Adreno 650 GPU which promises 25 per cent better graphics rendering and 35 per cent better energy efficiency over the Snapdragon 855. It also supports QHD+ 144 Hz/ UHD 60 Hz screens as well as 10-bit HDR gaming.
- The onboard Spectra 480 ISP of the Snapdragon 865 supports up to 200MP cameras (64MP with zero shutter lag). Video recording capabilities include 4K HDR @ 60 fps, 4K @ 120 fps, 8K @ 30 fps, and unlimited capture of 720p @ 960 fps super slow-mo.
- Also standard is Qualcomm’s X55 modem which supports both 5G and 4G connectivity, with claimed download speeds touching 7.5 Gbps with the former. Both standalone and non-standalone 5G networks are supported as well.