Surface Duo is Microsoft’s take on Android
- Microsoft has taken the wraps off the new Surface Duo, a peculiar Android-powered foldable device. However, it will only go on sale late next year.
- When we say foldable, we don’t mean in the same way as the Galaxy Fold or Mate X, but more like Asus ROG Phone’s dual display dock or ZTE Axon M from a few years ago.
- There are two separate 5.6-inch displays here, which means that you can either multitask on these screens or use them as a single giant display (with a huge crease, of course).
- It’s worth noting that the Microsoft Surface Duo will not be powered by open-source Android like Amazon’s Fire OS. Instead, it will have the official release along with all necessary Google Play services. Microsoft is also working to ensure good app-compatibility on the dual-screen layout.
- Since the commercial launch is still a year away, Microsoft has not revealed any major specifications of the Surface Duo.
See the official video to see the Surface Duo in action: