Tata-JTP shut down
- Tata-JTP, the ambitious joint venture between Tata Motors and Bengaluru-based car tuner Jayem Auto, has reportedly been shut down.
- Tata-JTP had reportedly started to wind-down its operations since late 2019, and as of March 4, the performance arm has shut its doors. While no official reason is known, this abrupt discontinuation is credited to dismal sales.
- In October 2018, Tiago JTP and Tigor JTP were launched in India and both budget-performance cars were quite well received by the media. The cars had a bespoke design, sports-tuned suspension and more power.
- However, lack of proper availability and poor marketing ensured that a majority of people were unaware of the existence of these cars.
- With the joint venture now axed, the few people who bought JTP cars may not get proper after-sales since only a handful of Tata dealerships sold these cars and they feature around 150 different parts when compared to their standard counterparts.