Toyota Corolla Altis, Etios series axed
- After the implementation of stricter BS6 emission norms, i.e. from April 1, 2020, the Corolla Altis, Etios sedan, Etios Liva and Etios Cross will be dropped from Toyota India’s lineup.
- The Corolla Altis will not be upgraded since its sales have been dwindling of late. Then, the next-gen Corolla is already on sale globally, but it won’t be launched in India due to the shrinking D-sedan segment, thereby making the end of the iconic nameplate in the country.
- The Etios sedan was indirectly replaced by the Yaris, and so it will be discontinued as well. On the other hand, the Toyota Yaris, though a flop, has already been upgraded as per BS6 norms.
- The Glanza has taken the Etios Liva’s place, while the Etios Cross does not need a replacement since the entire cross-hatchback segment never really took off.
- Interestingly, last month, Toyota India had also discontinued the Land Cruiser and the smaller Land Cruiser Prado by deciding not to upgrade these premium SUVs to BS6.