Volkswagen Beetle to be axed in 2019; Final Edition revealed
- Volkswagen has confirmed that it will end the Beetle’s production next year, thereby meaning that there would be no fourth-generation model of the iconic car.
- The Beetle Final Edition has been revealed globally as the last hurrah model of the car. It comes in two bespoke colours – Safara Uni and Stonewashed Blue.
- The Final Edition variants feature numerous retro stylistic elements which are inspired by the original Beetle. Most notable of these include chrome treatment and 18-inch rims which mimic old school steel wheels with chrome hubcaps.
- The original Volkswagen Beetle was developed in the 1930s during the Adolf Hitler era and moved on to become an automotive icon thanks to its famous ‘people’s car’ tag. The original model was discontinued in 1979, and then the Beetle brand was resurrected after two decades in 1998.
- Volkswagen sold the second and third-gen models of the Beetle in India as well. In fact, the latter was discontinued only in February this year.