Volkswagen, Ford form alliance to build pickups, vans
- Volkswagen AG and Ford Motor Company have announced a global alliance to develop commercial vans and medium-sized pickup trucks for global markets.
- This alliance, which will begin as early as 2022, involves no cross-ownership between the two automakers.
- Both companies predict that the medium-sized pickup and commercial van market is expected to grow globally in the next five years. Through this alliance, Ford will develop medium-sized pickups for both companies, while Volkswagen in return will develop Euro-spec commercial vans.
- Last year, both brands collectively sold around 1.2 million units of these segments globally.
- In addition to the aforementioned segments, Volkswagen and Ford are also evaluating a collaboration to develop electric vehicles, autonomous vehicles and mobility services together. Both companies claim to be open to considering additional vehicle programs in the future.