Volkswagen Group India restructures operations
- From January 1, 2019, Volkswagen India will appoint Gurpratap Boparai as the Managing Director of Volkswagen India Private Limited. From there, all Volkswagen Group brands will continue operations under his leadership.
- Boparai currently serves as the Managing Director of the Skoda brand in India. Furthermore, Pavel Richter will now be the Volkswagen Group India’s technical production director.
- Boparai and his team will be responsible for the corporate’s ‘India 2.0’ project where a new cost-effective platform is being developed for India under Skoda’s leadership.
- Moving on, Skoda has officially confirmed that a compact SUV based on the new platform will hit the market by 2020.
- Volkswagen’s and Skoda’s current mass-market products have aged quite a bit and are therefore losing customers to the more modern competition. The new platform under India 2.0 will help both brands gain much-needed sales volume.