Xiaomi leads India smartphone shipments in Q3 2018
- As per a new report by Counterpoint Research, Xiaomi had a 27 per cent share in the Indian smartphone market during the period of July-Sept, 2018.
- Xiaomi’s growth is said to be spearheaded by its expansion in the offline market. Additionally, strong initial shipments of the new Redmi 6 series and Poco F1 helped Xiaomi hold on to its numero uno spot in India.
- The Chinese company has considerably widened its lead over Samsung, which comes in second with a 23 per cent market share during the same time period.
- The top five companies, which also include Vivo, Micromax and Oppo in addition to Xiaomi and Samsung, accounted for 77 per cent share of the total smartphone market during Q3 2018.
- Interestingly, Micromax returned to Counterpoint’s top five manufacturer list after two years, mainly because it won an order from Chhattisgarh of supplying five million smartphones to the state’s women and students. Therefore, it is likely that the struggling domestic brand’s shipments will decline in future.