Xiaomi makes Poco an independent brand
- Poco, which started life in 2018 as a Xiaomi sub-brand, is now being made an independent brand. Xiaomi CEO Manu Kumar Jain has confirmed this development on Twitter.
- Therefore, Poco will now have a dedicated team and its very own market strategy. This also indicates that the long-awaited Poco F2 will surely be launched in a few month’s time.
- “What started as a sub-brand within Xiaomi, has grown into its own identity. Poco F1 was an incredibly popular phone. We feel the time is right to let Poco operate on its own”, tweeted Jain.
- This is a clever move by Xiaomi to increase its market share in India and tackle Realme, an Oppo spin-off that’s been rapidly growing of late.
- Xiaomi has been giving its sub-brands a stronger identity. Last year, Redmi phones started coming with ‘Redmi’ branding instead of ‘Mi’. It is possible that Redmi will also become fully independent in India very soon, just like it is in China.